I’ve received several variations on the 15 books theme recently making the rounds on Facebook. For the uninitiated, the idea is to share the titles of fifteen (15) books that are your favorites and/or have influenced your life.
I’m guessing the idea is that you would get a chance to use the types of books as a window into the world of the person listing them. Well, here’s my list of the books that came to my mind in terms of influencing me, in no particular order.
- The Waterworks by E.L. Doctorow
- Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
- Kissing in Manhattan by David Schickler
- The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
- Hans Brinker, or The Silver Skates by Mary Mapes Dodge
- The Forgetting Room by Nick Bantcock
- Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Neil Postman
- Bobos In Paradise: The New Upper Class and How They Got There by David Brooks
- The Geography of Nowhere: The Rise and Decline of America’s Man-Made Landscape by James Howard Kunstler
- Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial Edition) by John Steinbeck
- The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw
- Meatball Sundae: Is Your Marketing out of Sync? by Seth Godin
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom (A Toltec Wisdom Book) by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- The Fall of Public Man by Richard Sennett
While I don’t expect a lot of folks to give me their full list of 15 books, I will invite those of you who feel like it to throw one or two books into the comments section that you think I’d be interested in picking up from the library or via download sometime soon.