The following is taken from an entry posted on Birmingham Freecycle by Alma Moore, the volunteer coordinator for the Jefferson County Meals on Wheels program administered by the Jefferson County Council on Aging:
Meals on Wheels of Jefferson County is looking for volunteers to deliver meals to senior citizens in Jefferson County. Our program relies heavily upon a large volunteer force that delivers meals to about 75% of our clients. We deliver approximately 740 meals a day Monday – Friday from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Of our 64 routes, 57 are delivered by volunteers. The other 7 are delivered by staff members. We could not offer this service to the senior citizens of Jefferson County without our dedicated volunteers.
We are currently looking for volunteers to deliver meals on routes in various parts of the county. A route consists of 10-15 clients. Most of our volunteers deliver 1-2 days a month. Some more often, some less.
We currently need volunteers for the following days/routes:
(IF YOU DO NOT SEE A DAY/ROUTE THAT FITS YOUR SCHEDULE, WE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SUBS IN ALL PARTS OF THE COUNTY THAT CAN DELIVER WHEN THE REGULAR VOLUNTEER IS NOT ABLE TO MAKE IT).
- BESSEMER: 1st week of the month(you can volunteer for one or all days of this week),3rd Friday, 5th Thursday, 5th Friday
- HUEYTOWN: 2nd Thursday, 5th Monday, 5th Tuesday, 5th Thursday
- PLEASANT GROVE: 1st Monday
- FAIRFIELD: Every other Friday
- TITUSVILLE: 5th Monday, 5th Friday
- HOMEWOOD: 3rd Wednesday, 4th Wednesday, 5th Wednesday
- IRONDALE: 1st Friday, 3rd Friday, 4th Friday, 5th Friday
- CENTER POINT: 2nd Monday
- TRUSSVILLE: 2nd Thursday
- FORESTDALE: 4th Friday, 5th Tuesday, 5th Friday
- FOREST PARK: Every other Friday, 5th Thursday
- CRESTWOOD: 5th Tuesday, 5th Friday
- BLUFF PARK: 2nd Thursday
- VESTAVIA: 1st Friday, 5th Monday
- GARDENDALE: 3rd Monday, 5th Friday
You can contact Moore via e-mail at [email protected]. We will need you to complete a volunteer application and authorization to run a criminal background check and motor vehicle report. She says that she can email the forms to you to complete, sign and fax back to her.
If you have questions, you can also call her at 592-0413, ext. 4, Monday – Friday from 7:30 – 3:30 p.m. Please try not to call during delivery hours as our phones are very busy due to meals are being delivered.
Let her know if you’re interested.